November 02, 2003

A TOOL STOLEN FROM ABBEY’S BOX (TOOLBOX THAT IS)


 Subject: man is by instinct a lover, he's a hunter, he's a fighter - Tom,
The Glass Menagerie, speaking to his mother who answers: "Don't you quote
instinct to me.  Instinct is something we've grown out of."
SOUNDS LIKE HUMAN NATURE TO ME.

>Deer Mitchell: IN GOING WITH THE IDEA THAT I AM MERELY A YOUTH, MAY I
>SUGGEST THAT YOU MEAN "FAWN MITCHELL".
>
>My intention is to finish my translation tonight.  My brother has just
>dropped off the revisions and it will probably take me an hour or so to fix
>my foolish mistakes.
>
>After that, I will spend some time coming up with interesting
>conversational topics for my civilization class re: the dictatorship and
>coming out COMING OUT?  MAYBE YOU CAN GET SOME ADVICE FROM YOUR FRIEND
>WILLIAM.  This should not be too difficult as I will not sleep tonight... I
>drank tea in anticipation of my translation tasks.  I DRANK APPLE CIDER
>TONIGHT AT TRAVIS'S WITH MY FRIEND MARSHA.  THEN SAM CARLOS (WHO SHARES
>THE SAME BIRTHDAY AS ME) AND HIS GIRLFRIEND LINDSAY (WHO WORKS AT
>TRAVIS'S) STOPPED BY AND WE TALKED MERRILY.  I WAS INFORMED THAT MY ANTICS
>ON MY BIRTHDAY WERE ALL CAUGHT ON VIDEO (DID I KNOW THIS ALREADY?).  HOORAY
>FOR TECHNOLOGY.  APPARENTLY, THE VIDEO ENDS WITH ME DANCING AROUND THE
>CAMPFIRE THEN TURNING TOWARDS MEG (WHO HELD THE VIDEOCAMERA) AND CHARGING
>AT HER AND TACKLING HER DESPITE HER CRIES TO BE CAREFUL.  THE PICTURE IS
>ALL DISTORTED AND IN THE BACKGROUND CHARLIE DROSS'S VOICE IS HEARD TO SAY,
>"MITCH, YOU'RE GONNA BREAK THE CAMERA" THEN IT CUTS OUT.  YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT
>PEOPLE HAVING INFORMATION ON YOU ABOUT YOUR STUPID ACTIONS?  MY ACTIONS
>HAVE ALL BEEN CAUGHT ON VIDEO.  I'D RATHER BE YOU.
>
>Tomorrow, I will deliver a most brilliant lecture on: TENER GANAS DE (to
>have the urge to do something) I DON'T REMEMBER LEARNING THIS and TENER QUE
>(to have the obligation to do something) and some WEATHER VOCABULARY.
>
>Then, I will go to my brother's office, have my translation and his
>notarized, take it over to the lawyer's office and be back to deliver a
>most brilliant lecture on the FRANCO DICTATORSHIP.  WHO IS FRANCO? I will
>not have office hours tomorrow. I WILL.  I'M EXPECTING SOMEONE NAMED
>SHANNON TO STOP BY.
>
>At 12:30 I will exit room 136 Isbister...  I will have taken with me to
>class ALLL the stuff I need to take home, thereby eliminating the
>possibility of running into any colleagues with stories to tell, and retell
>and tell again and tell with examples and variations.  I will go to your
>office with all my stuff in tow and hopefully you will be in a 'mood' - a
>good mood, a grand mood, a 'romantic' mood, not an undetermined mood - and
>we'll ride off into the sunset AS PLANNED in happier times.  HAPPY TIMES
>HAVE RETURNED.  I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I ACTUALLY WHINED AND COMPLAINED TO
>YOU TONIGHT.  THOUGH I APPRECIATE YOUR SENTIMENTS, I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT
>YOU DIDN'T TELL ME TO GROW UP AND GET A FUCKING HELMET.  I THINK WE'VE BOTH
>FAILED OUR MORAL RESPONSIBILIES.
>
>Eventually, of course, your father AND sister will burst in on us while we
>are in the middle of behaving naturally and there will be lots of red faces
>AND RED ASSES and apologies.  Never mind... those kinds of little
>embarassments make life 'fun'.
>
>I hope all of this is okay with you as you are an integral part of
>everything aluded to herein.  IT SURE IS
>
>Abbey
>
>p.s.  I gathered my Billy Bragg and Cyrkle albums to lend you and then
>remembered that you were not exactly enthusiastic about hearing music that
>might be instrumental in making you more like me.  I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR
>THESE ALBUMS, BUT I MUST WARN YOU THAT YOU CAN'T BE SURPRISED WHEN I START
>CARRYING A HANKERCHIEF AROUND IN MY BACK POCKET (HAVING ALREADY ADOPTED
>YOUR CAPITALIZED LETTER RESPONSE TECHNIQUE).  I spent far too much time
>worrying about you today - as if you were an ailing puppy.  AN AILING FAWN,
>ACTUALLY. I APPRECIATE YOUR CONCERNS.
I'm going soft.  MAYBE YOU CAN TAKE UP JOGGING.
YOURS,

BAMBINO

No comments:

Post a Comment